- Balance sheet
- Also called the statement of financial condition, it is a summary of the assets, liabilities, and owners' equity. The New York Times Financial Glossary
* * *balance sheet ˈbalance ˌsheet noun [countable] ACCOUNTINGa document showing a company's financial position and wealth at a particular time, often the last day of its financial year:
• The company performed well last year, and has a healthy balance sheet with a good amount of cash.
• a strong balance sheet
• a clean balance sheet (= without debt or without too much debt )ˈoff-balance ˌsheet adjective [only before a noun] ACCOUNTINGoff-balance sheet items, activities, debts etc are ones that a company does not need to show on its balance sheet, but in notes added to it:
• The leasing company said a Chinese airline has signed for an aircraft operating lease - a relatively short-term, off-balance sheet rental.
* * *An accounting statement of a company's assets and liabilities, provided for the benefit of shareholders and regulators. It gives a snapshot, at a specific point of time, of the assets that the company holds and how the assets have been financed.
* * *balance sheet UK US noun [C]► ACCOUNTING a financial statement that shows a company's assets and debts at a particular time: healthy/strong/weak balance sheet »
He points out that the company has the strongest balance sheet among all the farm-machinery giants.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
balance sheet — bal·ance sheet n: a statement of financial condition at a given date Merriam Webster’s Dictionary of Law. Merriam Webster. 1996. balance sheet … Law dictionary
Balance sheet — Balance Bal ance (b[a^]l ans), n. [OE. balaunce, F. balance, fr. L. bilanx, bilancis, having two scales; bis twice (akin to E. two) + lanx plate, scale.] 1. An apparatus for weighing. [1913 Webster] Note: In its simplest form, a balance consists… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
balance sheet — balance sheets N COUNT A balance sheet is a written statement of the amount of money and property that a company or person has, including amounts of money that are owed or are owing. Balance sheet is also used to refer to the general financial… … English dictionary
balance sheet — n a statement of how much money a business has earned and how much money it has paid for goods and services ▪ a healthy balance sheet … Dictionary of contemporary English
balance sheet — balance ,sheet noun count a written statement showing the value of a company at a particular time … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
balance sheet — [n] financial statement including gains and losses for a period account, annual report, assets and liabilities, budget, ledger, report; concepts 271,332 … New thesaurus
balance sheet — ► NOUN ▪ a written statement of the assets, liabilities, and capital of a business … English terms dictionary
balance sheet — n. a statement summarizing the financial status of an individual or a business by showing assets, liabilities, etc. at a given date … English World dictionary
Balance sheet — Accountancy Key concepts Accountant · Accounting period · Bookkeeping · Cash and accrual basis · Cash flow management · Chart of accounts … Wikipedia
balance sheet — an important business document that shows what a business owns and owes as of the date shown. Essentially a balance sheet is a list of business assets and their cost on one side and a list of liabilities and owners equity (investment in the… … Financial and business terms